Questions for consideration:
• How did this work come to be a profession?
• What does RID do? How does it function?
• What other sign-language interpreting organizations are there?
• What laws mandate the provision of sign language interpreting?
Books & Other Readings:
• Laws for ASL Interpreting (PL 94-142; Rehab Act/Section 504; ADA; Section 255 of the Telecommunications Act of 1996)
• Humphrey & Alcorn, Chap. 11 “The History and Professionalization of Interpreting”
While very few appear on certification exams, it is wise to learn some of the important individuals, publications, events, and institutions that have contributed significantly to the early and continued growth and professionalization of our field.