Questions for Consideration:
• Why is it important for us to know the speaker’s purpose/goal?
• What model(s) or philosophy of interpreting do you usually work under? Are you able to adjust from one to another?
• How do you determine whether a consumer needs interpreting or transliteration?
• How do we determine if we are qualified for the assignment?
• What is cultural mediation? How do we decide when it is needed?
Books and Other Readings:
• Valli: ASL Discourse; Discourse Analysis
• Humphrey, Chapter 10: The Process of Interpreting
• Lawrence: Expansion and Compression (supplemental material)
• Humphrey, Chapter 8: How We Approach Our Work
• Mindess, Chapter 3: Selected Topics in Intercultural Communication
• Mindess: Techniques for Cultural Adjustments (1st ed.) or Multicultural Interpreting Challenges (2nd ed.)
• Kelly, Chapter 2: Transliterating: Show me the English